Saturday 2 November 2013

The "Office Elegant" on Bazaar's "Work the Look"

I really like writing about work clothes. The typical American look at work is predictable. I've written before about the attention my high-heeled shoes at work brought. It's died down now to a rather loving topic of discussion than the bone of contention it was. A year or so into work, I'm still wearing my heels. So, everyone is convinced it's a part of me and not something I do for attention. Thank God that's resolved.

I wore a pink-dominated floral jumpsuit with a black blazer to work on Monday. Boy did that rouse looks. Looks that were partly, "hmm, work outfit? I think not." But of course it is. The piece is of cotton fabric. There was nothing revealing about the cut. Only it was very different from "the typical American work look." The only British lady on my floor said amiably "you look very British." I know I didn't look boring. Needless to say, I sat in my cubicle most of the day. :)

I love what Net-a-Porter fashion director Holli Rogers shared in Harper's Bazaar's "How to make your clothes earn it" write-up. She said "avoid going overboard by pairing a beautiful showstopping piece with a basic, such as a silk shirt from Equipment. This gives it contrast so the prints aren't overpowering" (October 2013 issue, pp. 196). Indeed, at work, you are not going for showstopping. You are going for elegant and stylish, without drawing too much attention.

A few looks from the page are below.
Match back to solids

Givenchy


Find other looks by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...